Human skin is the primary layer of protection against germs and elements. It acts as a waterproof insulating shield, guarding the body against extremes of temperature, damaging sunlight and harmful chemicals. For a fact, it is the largest organ of the human body composed of a complex system of cell layers, nerves and glands that not only protect us from but also connect us to the outside world. We often tend to ignore taking care of our skin owing to busy lifestyle but it needs as much care as any other part of our body.
Keeping our skin healthy and moist helps preserve the protective layer. Skin should be taken care from head to toe. Good skin habits keep the skin looking young and beautiful.
Tips for healthy skin
Beauty and skin care go hand in hand. Fresh and beautiful skin makes you presentable and confident. Owing to our busy lifestyles we forget to attend to our daily skin care needs. An intensive skin care regime may not be possible but these tips will help you to get started and maintain a healthy skin.
- Make sure you protect your skin from sun by using sunscreen which suits your skin type. Also, do not expose yourself in the sun between 10 a.m. to 2.p.m, since the sunlight would be harsh during these hours.
- It is advised not to smoke if you are indulged in it. Smoking damages the skin fibers, decreases blood flow, contributes to wrinkles and makes your skin look old. It’s best to quit smoking to protect your skin.
- Skin is sensitive and you should make sure that you treat it gently. Soaps must be gentle and skincare products must be free of scents or perfumes. Make sure you moisturize your skin daily depending on your skin type.
- You can have exfoliation once a week. Also, remember over washing is bad as it removes the natural oils from your skin. So limit the time of your bathing.
- You should maintain a healthy diet which includes organic food, lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins will give a younger looking skin.
- Manage your stress levels. Stress makes your skin more sensitive and triggers acne breakout, also other skin problems. So have a healthy mind to manage stress.
To maintain a daily skin care routine you need to identify your skin type and accordingly choose the products suiting your skin types. There are three basic skin types:
- Combination/ Normal
The following are the basic steps one can follow for any skin type:
- Cleanse your skin once in the morning and once before going to bed.
- Moisturize daily and it’s a must for dry skin.
- Repair, i.e. skin repair happens by using retinol and organic skin care antioxidants such as green tea extract and Vitamin C. They are affordable and proven to rejuvenate your skin.
A little effort by you will go a long way. So, develop good skin care habits for a healthy and younger looking skin.