All of us want strong, shiny locks of hair. Some of us enjoy that luxury, while others struggle with hair fall issues. Both men and women suffer from hair fall. Here are some reasons for it and a few ways to reduce hair fall.
Why is there hair loss?
On average everyone loses about 50 to 100 strands of hair, every day. This is the dead hair falling out, which is replaced by healthy strands. Sometimes, hair strands break and fall, which isn’t really hair fall. However, there can be several reasons for an increase in hair fall. Stress, pollution, an unhealthy regime, deficiencies, over use of chemicals and use of heat for styling can be a few reasons. Hair is pretty sensitive, so anything from general illness to change in the diet can cause it to shed. People affected by thyroid disorders, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, scalp infections, Alopecia Areata (a hair disorder), hormonal imbalance or even pregnancy might find an increase in hair loss. It can also be genetic. If your parents suffer from hair loss, it is very likely that you will too. The genetic link is more prevalent among men.
Tips to prevent hair loss
It might be tempting to get a few treatments done, however, it can be rather harmful in the long run. It is good to treat the underlying causes if hair loss, like for example getting the hormone levels normalized, for instance in the case of hypothyroidism. However, there are some steps and tips that can be taken to reduce every day hair fall. Some of the old, traditional methods prove to be the best.
- The traditional hot oil massage can help strengthen hair roots. Massaging with coconut, olive, almond, gingely oil or argon oil will improve blood circulation to the hair follicles. It will also moisturize the hair.
- Relaxation can help control stress and in turn control hair fall. Yoga and meditation can help in this.
- Vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin D rich foods can help as well. Amla or Indian Gooseberry is great for this.
- Applying onion, garlic or ginger juice to your scalp overnight can make a difference. They have antibacterial properties that can prevent scalp infections.
- Aloe Vera gel or juice get rid of dandruff, strengthen hair and also add luster to the hair.
- Green tea is another remedy. Green tea in water can be smeared on hair and then washed after half hour.
Hair loss can be disheartening and might undermine your very confidence. Don’t let it get too far and follow some of these hacks to get your beautiful, thick tresses back.